Q marks the spot – Treasure Map 55 (April 2013)
by Mark Meynell
Oooooops – this is seriously late!! Many apologies. Been rather a busy week and completely forgot to post this!
- Shhh!! Chris Green on introvert preachers and introvert lightbulb changers
- Eddie Arthur quotes the wonderful Oscar Muriu on the traps of western (though here, particularly American) missionaries in E. Africa.
- “If the holy scriptures are the script for my life, then U2 is the soundtrack.” So says Steve Lindsay, on singing about God and being angry. I concur completely.
- Interesting but depressing (note the ‘even’): Is it even possible to live a celibate life? A week or so later, there were some interesting responses from celibate readers.
- Beautiful: a baby born deaf hears for the first time
- Have just listened to the wonderful interview with Marilynne Robinson in Radio 4’s Book Club about Gilead. Highly recommended.
- The rise of the Far Right in Europe is a major cause for concern: see this insight into Greece’s Golden Dawn. Terrifying
- Powerful and evocative B/W photographs from both sides of a deeply divided Cyprus.
- Almost nostalgic to see Mikhail Gorbachev singing with Steve Rosenberg years after the end of the Cold War.
- A very intriguing list: 10 forgotten events that shaped the modern world
- If feminism is the only force that keeps these terrible issues at the forefront then the answer should be yes… but there’s a challenge here to those of us who are not feminists…
- OK… it’s Bono; OK… he’s got a Messiah complex (as he freely admits); but he’s also got a point. This is simple, compelling and inspiring
- Fascinating: if you grew up on Richard Scarry books as I did, it’s very revealing about society to see how the books have been updated.
- Truly weird – but apparently true: 10 attempts to use magic and the supernatural to win wars
- How to get along for 500 days alone together
- Long-forgotten posters in abandoned London Underground tunnels
- Vita Sackville-West’s writing tower and library. Jealous.
- Incredible solo multi-track take on Stevie Wonder’s ‘I Wish‘ (HT 22 Words). Guaranteed to make your day
- Final Q guarantee: you have NEVER seen a waterfall like this one in Osaka train station: