Q marks the spot – Treasure Map 56 (May 2013)
A brief plug before this outing. Someone asked how I keep track of various internet things. My secret is the wonder that is Pocket. People send me stuff or I see stuff on my RSS reader (NetNewsWire if you’re interested), and then I click pocket in the browser – and can then check them out off-line on my phone on trains and tubes etc. Simple really – so there you are.
- This is a wakeup call – a global rich list tied to an appeal to donate to the world’s poorest. Very simple, very effective.
- A more interesting conversation now that “Richard Dawkins has lost…”
- A brief but pastorally important response to suicide amongst believers.
- Chris Green has lots of wisdom about using commentaries – v helpful
- Is gay marriage a fast track to polygamy? Dangerous question?! But the Economist is the one asking it!
- Jim Packer touches on an ESSENTIAL virtue – the willingness to embrace our weakness.
- The language is more than fruity here – but it’s a very interesting article: where are all the right-wing stand ups?
- Revisiting the horror: returning to Buchenwald on the anniversary of its liberation (HT 22 Words)
- Of all the reflections on Thatcher (eulogising or demonising), Russell Brand gives one of the most thoughtful.
- 50 years since The Spy Who Came in From the Cold came out, John Le Carré asks how much has actually changed.
- When the White House was gutted (this time not by British arson – ho ho)
- Fantastic – Modern Art Cakes from San Francisco. I particularly like the Mondrian Cake (right)
- Bringing people back from the dead.
- 10 extreme airports that flirt with disaster
- What cities would be like if there were no light pollution or power cuts
- The Simpsons as great art…!