Q marks the spot – Treasure Map 5 (Feb 2009)
- Fantastic archive of Don Carson mp3s going back years.
- Because this is STILL rumbling on, especially now that Christians are going for a more in your face version, here, in case you missed it, a nice little piece from Theos on why the ATHEISM bendy bus adverts are quite a good thing! I have to say that I don’t find the tone of the Christian response very helpful or charitable and completely agree with Dave Keen here (HT to him for this nice development of the theme below)
- Then if you want to make your own slogan, check out this Bus Slogan Generator!
- Ouch!! When Satire becomes Irony – looking back at The Onion’s 2001 predictions about the Bush Presidency, it is shockingly prescient. I guess when originally written, they didn’t really believe it would all turn out like this.
- Golden Thread, National Myth – a genuinely fascinating essay on the relationship between politics and history by Tom Holland in the New Statesman (HT my brother Francis)
- Talk about cool-headedness – check out the communications between the pilot and air traffic control about the plane that crashed into the Hudson river. Then get this repeat performance in miniature in Australia. Weird.
- Check out Roger Ebert’s hilarious glossary of Movie Terms – full of insights about pervasive movie clichés.
- DORD: a classic dictionary error – but then as Gove commented, why shouldn’t it mean ‘density’?!
- Some fascinating church architecture with 20 Unusual Churches here and and 20 More Unusual churches here.
- Measuring Worth – a cunning site for working out currency equivalents – especially interesting for checking out how much the £ over the last 800 years of British history is with in modern terms. (HT – Andrea Clarke at the British Library)