Q marks the spot – Treasure Map 85 (October 2015)
- This is serious – Turkish Protestant churches sent death threats – directly affects a number of churches that I’ve regularly spent time with in Turkey. PRAY.
- My former All Souls colleague Jo Jackson has written a couple of great posts about weakness: 1. Willingly Weak and 2. Wonderfully Weak
- Phil Whittall (aka the Simple Pastor) has a great post on ‘We are alone in the universe‘
- The wife of a pastor & professor who killed himself after the Ashley Madison debacle speaks out very powerfully
- Kevin Vanhoozer’s thoughts on the pastor-theologian have been distilled into 55 theses – very helpful
- This conversation between Piper, Carson and Keller on suffering making a preacher is gold-dust – very helpful indeed
- Now that she is officially the UK’s longest reigning monarch, here are 12 surprising facts about QEII
- So there WAS a 6th man in the Cambridge Spy Ring after all…??!!
- A Psychiatry Professor describes her own battle with depression; and here a professional photographer documents his own battles through his camera; and another photographer depicts her anxiety
- What happens when Beijing bans cars…
- I’ve started following the youtube channel of Nerdwriter – he has loads of fascinating stuff on arts and culture. This is a case in point, with its poignant engagement with the Cuaron film Children of Men in relation to the current refugee crisis:
Here are some rather good finds on musical themes of all kinds and tastes
- Linda McCartney’s beautifully natural images of the Beatles and others
- One of the things I’ve always loved about U2 (and one key reason why they’re always best as a live band) is the constant re-imagination of their material to suit contexts and moments. Tim Neufeld has some brilliant insights into what Bono does in Turin and Amsterdam at the start of the European leg of the i+e tour
- David Byrne (of Talking Heads genius) shared his own lending library at this year’s Meltdown festival including one by our very own Steve Turner!
- The romance of a bygone age – some wonderful French Art-Deco travel posters
- Some rather cool maps:
- Europe by questions asked of Google
- Some surprises here (only because they weren’t really reported thoroughly): countries that lost citizens on 9/11
- The world by territorial waters
- how about a street map as a bouncy ball – to zoom, just squeeze!
- Why hasn’t anyone thought of this before! A brilliant tool for seeing true size of a country as you move it around the globe
- The Antipodes, and why you can’t dig to China
- A fabulously detailed map of the Roman Empire in AD211
- Pills to cure 1st world problems – ideal MUST have
- This is rather enchanting footage of a diver off the Scilly Isles